It all started when the big landlord and beer magnate, José Rovisco Pais, donated his Pegões properties to the Lisbon State Hospitals. On these properties, the Government implemented a large “colonization” project, donating land to thousands of agricultural workers and directing the plantation of 2900 acres of vineyards. These workers became known as “Colonos”. The Cooperative was estabilished on March the 7th 1958 in order to give technical and logistic support to the “colonos”. Part of the support consisted in the reception and processing of their grapes. The first Pegões wines where than born. At the beginning the Cooperative received financial and technical support from the State. As a consequence of the Portuguese revolution of 1974, the Cooperative was taken over and a period of instability followed. This process was later reversed and over the last fiftheen years, the Cooperative followed a systematic strategy of modernization and finantial consolidation whit the key objective of continuously improving the quality and value of its wines. During this period, the Cooperative spent about seven million Euros to buy new vinification and cold stabilization equipment and several batteries of vats for fermentation under controlled temperature. Other equipment purchased included pneumatic and vacuum presses, a modern bottle filling, labelling and packaging line, effluent treatment facilities, cellars for wine aging whit more than 1.000 casks, improvements to the buildings and access roads, etc. Advanced computing systems were installed for administrative and process control purposes. The Cooperative is certified in accordance with NP EN ISO 9001:2000 and HACCP.